Tuesday, March 12

Mothers Day actual

After a hard week re-living unpleasant memories, I'll be honest, Mothers Day wasn't high on my list of things to look forward too. We wouldn't be with my own mother so it felt a bit of a non-event for me. Without a partner to "help" my daughter make a card or express a glitter-splattered creation, it felt a little flat on my behalf. As so many times, the grandparents came to the rescue. Funny how a little card can make all the difference. It gave me a much needed bit of strength to pull myself up and focus on the person who made me a mother.

As it was snowing, the options were indoors only. In the end, I decided that we would jump on a metro to the Sage where a free lunchtime performance was promised. Sadly, this didn't actually materialise but we still had a really nice afternoon. By the time we got there, we had some lunch (Wriggles even had a crumb of bread as well as some Quavers; there was my gift right there!) which was delicious and then to Wriggles' true love: the stairs.

 photo DSCN8590_zpsda0d2bb6.jpg

We only recently re-discovered the Sage. Pre-child I knew it quite well and have been to many concerts there as well as admiring the river view and impressive-yet-bonkers architecture. Apart from attending an event, I had no idea of there being anything child friendly about it. It turns out there is a fantastic under 5s music group every day of the week with a little area on the concourse with a table, chairs and some toys and books. However, these pale into comparison for my toddler with the many staircases. I have no idea what the pull of stairs are for her, but I do admit to shamelessly indulging it as it is brilliant physio for her and brings such a smile!

 photo DSCN8620_zps7b0892dc.jpg
 photo DSCN8607_zps22046ed4.jpg
 photo DSCN8614_zps3a412b79.jpg


I spoke to my own wonderful mum in the afternoon, which put a good end to the day. Her voice still grounds me and makes me smile, and without her devotion to us and unwavering support I wouldn't be able to be half the mother I am today. Wriggles adores her too, unsurprisingly, and it makes my heart smile to see them together. And hopefully it won't be too long before we get that again!

4 comments:

  1. Wow look how long wriggle's hair is :)

    Gem loves stairs too! She seeks them out everywhere we go,not sure if because we stay in a ground floor flat?

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered the same, as we are also in a level flat with no stais! Silly girls x

      Delete
  2. Glad your day turned into a lovely one! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had lots of fun xxx

    ReplyDelete